Friday, December 24, 2010

Back on the Proverbial Horse

Well, after getting knocked off my blogging gumption, I have been struggling to ride again.
Here's where I'm at right now.  Its the middle of the night, but technically Christmas Eve.  I am exhausted.  I have had a houseful of giddy children all day, baking, packing, wrapping.  Trying to get the kids involved and making multiple trips to re-involve them, at least in their own packing.
All the trappings that I want to avoid and feel like I can't.  Baking to save money over the pre-made stuff.  Packing to go visit family that I miss.  Wrapping to oblige the gift exchange, but also to show my love for my family members.  I miss them.  I love them.  I can't wait to see them.
It occured to me that I don't have to do this.  We could do what other families do and head to the beach.  Maybe one year we will.  I always feel like this is the only time of year the family gets together.
But its not.  They get together other times too.  And we could go see them then.
I want to share - so much - the biblical holidays with our family.  There is so much richness and so much depth and holiness and righteousness.  Nothing could be more wholesome than that which our Father has set up for us.
Our families are all believers, but I fear that some might be complacent.  Hopefully not.  I hope they will not be lukewarm.  I believe there is potential for better, deeper and more rich relationships with our Creator.
And so in the middle of the last load of laundry, with a sink full of dishes still to be washed in the morning, I settle in to await what another Christmas will bring.  We go to be with those we love.  I want to maintain these precious bonds so that one day maybe we can Feast together!
For the first time Christmas will feel pagan to me, and no longer sacred.  In my heart, I celebrate His incarnation, His conception. 
I'll just take it as it comes, and see where it goes.
We'll hand out Hanukkah cards, which will definitely be noticed, and include an invitation to celebrate part of Papa's calendar next year.  We'll see where that goes!
I hope that if you are celebrating, that you are enjoying the warmth of your families as well.  Chag sameach.
Have a blessed Christmas Shabbat.

No comments:

Post a Comment